Indianapolis Felony Defense Lawyer
A person can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. A felony is the most serious crime you can be convicted of. Felonies are crimes that are punishable by more than one year in prison. However, there are some that can result in lifelong prison sentences. On top of that, you will likely have to pay a hefty fine.
When it comes to sentencing, the judge has the power for the most part. The judge can give any sentence between the minimum and maximum range. Judges typically begin with the advisory sentence and then add or subtract time within the range based on circumstances such as criminal history or an aggravating circumstance. There are also enhancements to consider. This means a sentence may be enhanced under certain conditions, such as evidence of criminal gang activity, juvenile history, or being a habitual offender.
As you can see, felonies are serious. This can be scary, but the good news is that you don’t have to handle the situation on your own. The team at Rigney Law LLC will work hard to reduce your charges. Contact our Indianapolis felony defense lawyer today to see how we can help you with your case.
Types of Felonies and Penalties
In Indiana, there are seven categories of felonies. They are as follows:
- This crime is so serious, it has its own category. Murder is the premeditated killing of another person. It carries a penalty of 45-65 years in prison.
- Level 1 Felony. This felony applies to crimes such as aggravated rape, home invasion, and drug dealing that leads to serious injuries or death. The punishment is 20-50 years in prison.
- Level 2 Felony. These crimes include manslaughter, child sex trafficking, and kidnapping for ransom. These felonies carry a penalty of 10-30 years in prison.
- Level 3 Felony. These crimes include aggravated battery (causing serious injury), child molestation, and fleeing police in a vehicle (resulting in death). This felony carries a penalty of 3-20 years in prison.
- Level 4 Felony. Examples of Level 4 felonies include arson and unlawful firearm possession. These crimes carry a penalty of 2-12 years in prison.
- Level 5 Felony. Level 5 felonies include robbery, involuntary manslaughter, and criminal recklessness (involving a weapon). These crimes carry a penalty of 1-6 years in prison.
- Level 6 Felony. This is the lowest level of felony and includes battery, child porn possession, fraud, identity theft, and some forms of theft of property. It carries a penalty of six months to 2 1/2 years in prison.
Contact Rigney Law LLC Today
Felonies need to be taken seriously. Your life and freedom are at risk. A conviction will affect your life forever.
You need a solid defense, and this means securing strong counsel right away. Rigney Law LLC will do their best to protect your legal rights. Schedule a consultation with our Indianapolis felony defense lawyer today by calling (317) 623-0989 or filling out the online form.