Indianapolis Sex Crime Lawyer
If you have been accused of a sex crime, never underestimate its effect on your life. Sex crimes are punished harshly in Indiana, especially if they involve children. A sex crime can mean prison time, fines, damage to your reputation, job loss, and a whole lot more.
At Rigney Law LLC, we understand the effects of sex crimes. We know these crimes can change your life forever, whether or not you are found guilty. Contact an experienced Indianapolis sex crime lawyer to get the advice you need to get your life back on track.
Types of Sex Crimes
- Rape is one of the most serious sex crimes. It involves intentionally having sexual intercourse with a minor (someone under the age of 18) or an adult without their consent. In Indiana, it is considered a Level 3 felony in Indiana. However, if deadly force, a deadly weapon, or serious bodily injury is involved, it becomes a Level 1 felony.
- Sexual misconduct or battery of minors. Sex crimes against children are punished harshly. These include child pornography, child molestation, and transporting a minor with the intent to engage in sexual activity.
- Sexual assault. This is a broad crime that can encompass any type of unwanted sexual contact or touching, including assault, battery, and attempted rape. Using force or threats to coerce a person to perform sexual acts is considered assault in Indiana.
- Human trafficking. In Indiana, sex trafficking is a felony. Trafficking refers to selling or transferring custody of a child or adult for the purpose of participating in sexual conduct. Human trafficking includes forcing a person into prostitution.
What to Do
If you have been arrested for a sec crime, there are two main things you need to do:
- Remain silent. The arresting police officer should read you the Miranda rights, which include the right to remain silent. Take this seriously. Anything you say can and will be used against you, so the less you say, the better. Do not feel forced to say anything. You do not have to answer any questions. You can politely tell the officer that you will not say anything without a lawyer present.
- Call a lawyer. This segues into the next tip: hire a lawyer right away. An Indianapolis sex crime lawyer from Rigney Law LLC can give you advice on your next steps. We’ll guide you through every step of the process and make sure you get the best defense possible.
Contact Rigney Law LLC Today
A sex crime can lead to thousands of dollars in fines and decades in prison. There’s a lot at stake. Make sure you have an advocate on your side to help reduce your charges.
Contact the team at Rigney Law LLC right away and we’ll help you get the best defense possible. Get free advice today. To schedule a free consultation with our Indianapolis sex crime lawyer, fill out the online form or call (317) 623-0989.